Wednesday 21 January 2009

My First Blog/End Of An Era

So, here I am. Joining the myriad of celebrities, politicians, friends and general timewasters in entering the heady world of blogging.

Its always something I've looked upon with disdain for some reason. Purely out of wondering why people would care about every detail of my life. However, I finally realised blogging is more meant to be a log of memories and opinions, mixed with a sprinkling of boredom on my part, than a document of my banal existence for the world to see.

Well, it is that too, but you don't have to read it.

Anyway, enough of my meaningless musings, on with the memories!

For my first blog, what better way to kick off than with the end of an era. As many fellow Londoners will know, Transport for London are currently starting work on the new Crossrail railway system. As a resident of West London I, for one, am all for it. If I still work in Canary Wharf by 2012 (perish the thought!), it will really help my commute.

However, I'm not best pleased, and I'm sure I'm not alone here, with the fact that in order for Tottenham Court Road station to accomodate all those extra people they are having to build a new station at Centrepoint. This necessitates the demolition of the vast majority of buildings in that area, as well as Soho Square.

Unfortunately, included in these demolitions are music venues Metro, Sin Club, LA2/Mean Fiddler and the legendary Astoria. I'm indifferent about the first 3 going, but I did adore the Astoria. I have many good memories of shows there, perhaps best of all when myself and good friend Toulouse went to see DOWN, and smoked our way through half of Morocco up on the balcony.

As I mentioned previously, also included in the demolition is the LA2, or Mean Fiddler. A venue I've always disliked, due to its iffy sound and ridiculous raised dancefloor, but that I still have many a good memory of. I've seen some good shows there (Stampin' Ground, Every Time I Die, Between The Buried And Me etc) and 'Rock @ Mean Fiddler' was the first rock club I ever came to when I moved to London a few years back, and I met many of my current friends there. Paul, Stix and Riyad were officers and gentlemen with the tunes/guest list, and I even managed to DJ there myself once or twice! Anyway, I digress.

It ended up that my good pals Your City Is Forgotten were booked in to play the last ever Demolition club (I guess you could call it Rock's replacement), which also ended up being the last ever metal show before the bulldozers roll in. I popped along with Louise (http://eskilou.wordpress.com), Dave, Max and Shaz (my wifey, Lottie, elected to stay in with her new nephew, baby Blake. In fairness, he is way more interesting than watching bands. More on him in later blogs!). Fun, games and blogspot shrinking my photos ensued!




My PPL's:



Then I left and had a wander:



Stay tuned world!

No comments:

Post a Comment