Wednesday 4 February 2009

Snow Days

Well wasn't that fun!

That would have to rank as one of my all time greatest Monday mornings. Awoken at 6.30am as usual by the infernal whirring of my N95's alarm, I stagger to the study to check the status of the tube, only to receive the call I'd been hoping for:

Boss: 'Morning Toby'
Toby: 'Urgh'
Boss: 'What's happening with your transport today?'
Toby: 'Well, all buses are cancelled, and my nearest tube isn't running. I could possibly make it in, but it'll take me 2 hours plus'
Boss: 'Don't bother, I'm not going in either. See you tomorrow...Maybe'

WINNER!

Off went the trousers, off went the shirt, then I leapt enthusiastically back into bed while skillfully juggling a cup of Earl Grey, and fired up the Sopranos.



I have been getting to know Tony and the gang a fair bit recently. I realised I had completely bypassed the show, and I could not put my finger on why that had happened. Now I'm fully on the case, going through it all in one go. I'm halfway through Season 3 at the moment, and I can't help wishing I was one of Tony's captains. It appears to be a far better living than managing advertising.

Back to the subject of the snow. It all seemed to be rather a kerfuffle on the transport front. Was it entirely necessary to cancel ALL the buses? In response to the point made that buses even kept running during the Blitz, the head of London's buses responded that 'the Blitz wasn't covering all of London'. GOOD ONE. I would have thought large bombs and incendiary devices were slightly more dangerous than snow. Even if the Bosche were having a day off you still would be reluctant to chance it.


I really don't think, as a nation we dealt with it all THAT badly. Transport wise, it was a farce, however I don't think people should be blamed for taking a day off. If you can't travel, you can't travel! I'm becoming tired of the news repeatedly calling the UK 'soft' and scared of the cold. I'm not scared of the cold, I'm just not going to go to work if its an impossibility!

Anyway, it was back to the grindstone yesterday, and this was my view from the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment